Why Brexit could threaten Dutch fishing industry

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmttactical

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Now we know that any fair agreement takes more than 60 minutes to debate and accept. With the Dutch fishing grounds at risk, does anybody actually think this BRexit agreement with the E.U. is going to allow the U.K. to take back their fishing grounds? Read this article the then tell me it is all worked out.

"Very worried of course about Brexit," says Barend Hakvoort, whose job it is to ensure the Netherlands' largest fish auction house maintains its stocks.

"Many Urk people are fishing under a UK flag, they own a lot of quota. If the UK says they must land the fish in the UK we lose a lot of clients. We have a long history; with Brexit they can just throw it away and say these are the new rules."

Skipper Andries wears a tartan beret and gold-hoop earring. "If we lost the UK waters we'd lose 50% from Dutch vessels. I'm nervous, I don't know what the future brings."

His 17-year-old son Yelle attends "fishing school".

"It's very exciting, fishing," he grins.
But, looking ahead five years he is worried: "I don't think we will be able to fish in English waters."

An emotional issue over herring
Like the UK, the Dutch fishing industry is concentrated in small coastal communities.

Any losses could be catastrophic in towns like Urk and on the island of Texel, where most families' livelihoods depend upon fishing.

Yet the industry accounts for less than 1% of Dutch GDP. Pim Visser, director of Vis Ned, is anxious that fisheries will not become a political bargaining chip in future trade talks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46361999

The point I was try to make it the current agreement cannot be good for the U.K. The french prime minister is already is stating they plan to keep half the U.K, fishing territory and May's BRexit agreement is going to make sure of that. Now, I don't have a dog in this fight but I really do hate to see a country get sold down the river by it's own countrymen or woman, as it is in this case.

I wouldn't take too much stock in what the French prime minister says, May's Brexit agreement hasn't got any chance of going through the British parliament and is a pretty dead duck at the moment, no other agreement is on the table or liable to be forth coming, so it looks like a Hard Brexit is the only possibility which means we leave and the EU dosent get the £39 Billion promised if we got a workable deal.

To me, that is the best deal. You get your country back and get to keep the £39 Billion. The E.U. can go suck eggs and deal with Germany and France, should be fun to watch. We won't be coming to their rescue this time.

BG, the key to you statement --- MP actually holding their ground. I hope your politicians have more backbone then some of ours do.
at the moment, there is a lot of animosity in parliament about the May Brexit deal, if they can just hold their nerve this thing will be shot down.

Hypothetical example. Many of my neighbors have 50 acres & run cattle. We all share a property line with a 10,000 acre ranch, 'big bob' (BB). That big ranch doesn't have a fence, so all of our cattle regularly feed on the big ranch and rarely does BB's cattle feed on any of our places. Big Bob has had enough of that and at great expense is putting up fence around his 10k acre ranch. Everyone else is screaming about where will our cattle feed!

Is this scenario any different? Many EU members are effectively stealing from the UK. The UK wants to end that leeching, and everyone is crying about it. My advice to the UK is to cut ties immediately. Keep their fishing territories and let the EU put any 'tariffs' they want in place. The UK can retaliate equally. I bet the EU has more to lose, and time will prove that out. But weak leadership won't help this and won't make the hard but correct choices.

And for everyone that has been effectively stealing from the UK, I have no pity for them.

whilst the UK is a member of the EU we have to abide by the rules of the "Common Agricultural Policy" and the "Common Fisheries Policy" that all ends at 12midnight on the 29th March 2019.
that's when we leave the EU, unless May's Brexit is agreed we leave without a deal, a "no deal" as it is called.

Sounds like 'no deal' is better than a bad deal. Four months to go! That's not too long to stall it out. So 'no deal' means the UK has a bad trading (ie tariffs) with EU members? That's fine.

Those tariffs can go both ways. It'll hurt the EU more than the UK. The UK just needs to find other countries to trade with. Come talk with Trump, we can make some wonderful arrangements! But I doubt Trump can work with May any more than he can work with Pelosi. You can't make a good deal with a bad guy.

post Brexit the UK will be in charge of its own waters, own borders-so we can say who comes in and who dosent, our own farming policy, its only big business that wants this deal its in their interest, but small business and the man/woman in the street can see it for the bad deal it is.

Latest posts

Back