What's up guys

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you over 30/ are you male or female?

• Total voters

smashedcheese

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm writing a paper on prepper culture and was wondering if I could ask a few questions.
What was your first motivation to become a prepper?
When/how was your introduction to the culture? (Books or what have you)
Where would you describe yourself on the political compass?
What other hobbies do you have?
How would you introduce someone to the prepper ideas?
Is there anything you would want to change about the way preppers operate or are seen in media?

Thanks!

I was sorta looking for some exact quotes and direct info and the like, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong spot or was against the rules.

I was sorta looking for some exact quotes and direct info and the like, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong spot or was against the rules.
Here's what I told the last person who asked these kind of questions - people on these types of sites tend to be naturally suspicious (myself included). We wonder why you are interested in what other people think about prepping, if you are not wanting to start prepping yourself. People might be more interested in sharing their ideas with you if you would share yours with them. So here we go: At this point in time, what are your views on prepping? What do you think of preppers? Why did you choose this topic for your paper? Are you considering prepping yourself?

What was your first motivation to become a prepper?

My first hurricane with a long power outage. I became motivated to ensure that during such events, me and mine would be better equipped to handle it, and still live well. Even if that was much more long term.

When/how was your introduction to the culture? (Books or what have you)

Bulk food storing really. But mostly, my wife and I inherited a ranch in a more rural area. You're more on your own in a rural setting, so we learned to have things onhand vs. going to the store at a moments notice.

Where would you describe yourself on the political compass?

Conservative, but more libertarian. I believe government has a function, but for most part, it needs to keep out of things that are more about how folks choose to live life.

What other hobbies do you have?

We keep many animals, and I enjoy do it yourself things around the ranch. I'm also an artist (painter, drawings), and my wife and I are pretty good cake decorators (and bakers/cooks). My wife is big into scrapbooking.

How would you introduce someone to the prepper ideas?

I'd frame it as really being no different than storm prep (here in FL). It's just that taken to another level, preparing for a more long term situation. During Irma last year, we were without power for 5 days, and my prepper ways really allowed us to make the most of a bad situation. We had plenty of food, water, light, etc. even though we were also caring for many animals who were sheltering with us (since we had the barn space).

Is there anything you would want to change about the way preppers operate or are seen in media?

Some TV shows have given us a bad rap. Really, most of us are just trying to ensure our families have what we need, and are able to survive if things go to crap, no matter what the cause. The big focus is really more about sustainability than hoarding supplies. The ability to ensure we have a constant food and water supply. Really, this is the same thing that FEMA even recommends, so we are really just being the only ones following this, vs. being crazies.

Latest posts

Back