Wake up call!!!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome. I agree with most of the above advice, learning is important first. My advice is the same for everyone starting out. Think about what you really need in life, in order of importance. Water is #1, food is #2, shelter and then security. As Urban said above I would buy things for the first two at least. Having a few cases of water on hand is good, but having a good water filter is really important. If your tap water doesn’t work for whatever reason then having a way to make water safe to drink is really important. You don’t want to get sick right at the start of an emergency. Now is the time to accumulate as much food as you can also. Mostly canned and boxed/dry goods that require simple preparation, non perishable stuff. I love things like canned chicken that can be added to so many different dishes. I don’t know how you feel about firearms but since they are available now it’s a good idea to have a way to defend yourself.
I am not preaching about the apocalypse here. I am concerned with the economic situation in this country and the world though. If you watch the evening news then you would have to be brain dead to not see the likelihood of a bad recession or worse. I don’t believe you need to take courses from Bear Gryllis (a nature survivalist), but think investing in at least one good water filter and stocking up on food is smart while you still can. Some toilet paper would be nice too but good luck with that right now. Best of luck to you, and us all.
Hello, Thank you for all the warm welcome. I have bought water filters from Amazon. They look like sticks that suppose to filter water through a pipe. Not much on food YET, our local grocery store still has limited purchase per person. I didn't want to panic-buy either. But, I am starting to buy a long shelf like goods. All the advice I have been getting is great and definitely something to consider. I am planning to buy a tent and some basic camping gears, I have a very reliable vehicle. I live in a very densely populated area, IF indeed a large earthquake strike or natural disaster, recession and government take over many people will be competing for resources, which I have less chance of surviving. This urges me to get out of the city as much as possible. I do own firearm but, can only carry in Nevada and other reciprocity states. But, I guess that would not matter if shit hits the fan. I was very fortunate to acquire this before the pandemic started happening.

Hello, Thank you for all the warm welcome. I have bought water filters from Amazon. They look like sticks that suppose to filter water through a pipe. Not much on food YET, our local grocery store still has limited purchase per person. I didn't want to panic-buy either. But, I am starting to buy a long shelf like goods. All the advice I have been getting is great and definitely something to consider. I am planning to buy a tent and some basic camping gears, I have a very reliable vehicle. I live in a very densely populated area, IF indeed a large earthquake strike or natural disaster, recession and government take over many people will be competing for resources, which I have less chance of surviving. This urges me to get out of the city as much as possible. I do own firearm but, can only carry in Nevada and other reciprocity states. But, I guess that would not matter if shit hits the fan. I was very fortunate to acquire this before the pandemic started happening.

It sounds like you’re on the right track. :)

Brittany, what experience of camping and hiking do you have? have you got a map and can you read a map? maybe you prefer GPS .
if you had to leave in a crisis where would you go? is it just you or are their others that would go with you?
I have little experience in the wild. I have gone camping with an RV a few times however, we mostly relied on technology, include cell phone with gps. I have not experienced extreme camping, like the Alaskan people I've seen on TV. I will be buying a map and compass. Possibly move further north, close to the coast. Anywhere with a large body of water, such as a creek or river. If I am lucky to meet preppers or other people with the same survival mindset, then the more the marrier. but, if they cant carry their own wight then, I rather go by myself.

Ma'am not only do you need a BOB, but also well inspected MULTIPLE routes out of town NOT using the road system, At the very least a folding bicycle to carry you and your BOB at 15 MPH along paths, lanes, storm drains etc, You also need to buy and learn how to use a gun. You can easily carry ready to consume food for two days without cooking.

You may also need to look at escape mechanisms to help you get out of your apartment.

Search our Database for URBAN prepping issues.
Honestly, this will be the toughest part. Needed to get out of my city, I would need to rely heavily on freeways. It will take me at least 3 to 4 hours drive just to get out of the city itself. if I take side road, the commute will be twice as long.
I would need a vehicle, for sure. bicycle will not suffice because it will use tons of calories and energy. I would have to consume much more needed food. not mentioning the risk of getting injured or robbed. I do own a gun, but with limited ammo. This is a big concern of mine right now. Thanks to our state policy, ammo is getting hard to acquire.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t focus so much on planning to bug out to the woods. Going to a new area and environment like that with minimal experience would be tough. Any friends or family you could contact?
I do. I have siblings but, all are married with kids. It would feel really weird for me to be around that, knowing that prepping and conserving is not their main goal in life. I would not rely on friends either, since majority of them have different priorities in life, such as getting high, laid or drunk. A BOB is something I do want in hand just because, of the city, I live in. It would not be my first option, but I would like to know I have a plan B, anytime I need to get out quickly. CA, is a liberal state, things can get really ugly here very fast. I don't necessarily intend to live in the wild eighter but, just in case I would know hot to survive a day or two (at least). Ther are many great neighboring states I can go to if CA decided to blow itself to pieces. I am also planning to have at least 3 month supply or more to live on. but, its a challenge living in a urban city. Not much space. I have seen many people in the prepping community with better resources on hand due to the larger space to forage and grow. Something we dont have here for sure.

Last edited:
I do. I have siblings but, all are married with kids. It would feel really weird for me to be around that, knowing that prepping and conserving is not their main goal in life.

When the SHTF, family bonds will be more reliable than those of friends or neighbors. It will probably be dog eat dog and survival of the fittest, especially in those megopolis cities like LA, Chicago, Boston, et.al.

When the SHTF, family bonds will be more reliable than those of friends or neighbors. It will probably be dog eat dog and survival of the fittest, especially in those megopolis cities like LA, Chicago, Boston, et.al.
Yes, one of my biggest fear of living alone. Resources get depleted very easily and fast. Especially in a wide panic, city lockdown is very possible, making desperate people do the worst things. I have considered joining family but, can be detrimental for my mental health.

I do. I have siblings but, all are married with kids. It would feel really weird for me to be around that, knowing that prepping and conserving is not their main goal in life. I would not rely on friends either, since majority of them have different priorities in life, such as getting high, laid or drunk. A BOB is something I do want in hand just because, of the city, I live in. It would not be my first option, but I would like to know I have a plan B, anytime I need to get out quickly. CA, is a liberal state, things can get really ugly here very fast. I don't necessarily intend to live in the wild eighter but, just in case I would know hot to survive a day or two (at least). Ther are many great neighboring states I can go to if CA decided to blow itself to pieces. I am also planning to have at least 3 month supply or more to live on. but, its a challenge living in a urban city. Not much space. I have seen many people in the prepping community with better resources on hand due to the larger space to forage and grow. Something we dont have here for sure.
My point wasn’t just about surviving in the wild, but more to the point of just bugging out without a destination and a plan is a bad place to be in an emergency. I wouldn’t want to just be out on the road wandering. That kind of sounds like a refugee. The only time I would just head out like that is if the place I was in was really bad. Having some place to hole up is likely better than none. Do some serious thinking about what options are available to you at this time. Doing that after the event isn’t the time to make major decisions. As far as your siblings not being preppers, well, if things really do go south you might be surprised how many newly minted preppers there will be.

howdy from a Texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quite a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replies you have on a topic.

Latest posts

Back