The U.K. to eliminate some medical items --

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmttactical

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
The U.K. NHS is planning to remove some health care items. Some I would agree with but others, well you judge for your self and then tell me just how good nationalize medical is .Listed items:

The items, which are deemed to be of relatively low clinical effectiveness, to have cheaper options available or to be of "low priority" for funding, are:

• Silk garments - for eczema and dermatitis
  • Aliskiren - used to treat blood pressure
  • Amiodarone - to treat abnormal heart rhythms
  • Bath and shower emollient preparations - to treat eczema and dermatitis
  • Dronedarone - to treat the heart condition atrial fibrillation
  • Minocycline - to treat acne
  • Blood glucose testing strips - for diabetes
  • Needles for pre-filled and reusable insulin pens - for diabetes
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46361639

Being diabetic, I know those test strips are expensive. The insulin pens are not cheap either, guess that is why they are on the list. Just one reason for private insurance, I can pick the ones that met my needs and not have to depend on the government to decide if my treatment is too expensive. Now I can bet there are cheaper material that work just as well or better than silk. As for the other medicines, not a doctor, can't judge. The Diabetic stuff, that I can judge. My test strips are free. My mother had to use the pens and they were covered. If she would have had to pay for them, they would have gone broke very quickly.

any British NHS treatment is "free at the point of need", any medication or item on a prescription has to be paid for, but if one is underage or a pensioner they are free, there are other groups that have free prescriptions that are listed on the back of the form, you just tick a box and sign your name, even if one pays if one has a lot of items each month there is a "season ticket" system in place.

Your Pensioner plan sounds like the equivalent of our Social Security plan. You work, you pay in and then when old enough, you retire and collect from the state (federal government in our country).

Your Pensioner plan sounds like the equivalent of our Social Security plan. You work, you pay in and then when old enough, you retire and collect from the state (federal government in our country).
yes that's exactly it.
some employers also do a pension plan and you get a pension or a lump sum when you retire, but a lot are closing theirs as its too expensive.
my brother in law was in the Army (non commissioned officer)so he also gets an army pension.

yes that's exactly it.
some employers also do a pension plan and you get a pension or a lump sum when you retire, but a lot are closing theirs as its too expensive.
my brother in law was in the Army (non commissioned officer)so he also gets an army pension.

My oldest son just retired from the U.S. Navy. 20 years , with a 50% retirement pension for life. He is now starting his next career.

Latest posts

Back