the pig has a date

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now this one is a BOAR,,,I don't think it matters all that much as long as there are no sow's near by,,,,,but some say he won't be worth a hoot the meat will be musky smelling and have the same taste,,,, I don't put much stock n that in the past I have had wild boars that we ate,,,never had any kind of a off taste,,we shall see

it's not made a difference for us. We have butchered both boars and sows. They both cook up and taste good.
I got three for about $40 each they weighed about 150 when I brought them home,,,,one got heat stroke and we lost it I will have around $300 in my hog after processing
I just hope I have enough freezer space for 150lbs of pork

that is a big hog,,,I have been told once that big they are not good for anything but breeding,,,my uncle had some huge ones he bred every year
She was supposed to have been for breeding, but she did not hold up that end of the bargain. I tried to have the talk, but she didnt listen to me and looked like I was talking Greek. . . . We are getting something out of our $50 bucks. You can't buy one at that price around here anymore though. Prices are sky high. Maybe we need to head over to your state for better luck.

I actually considered doing the job myself,,,,there are videos on utube on how to do just about anything,,,,I have helped do cows and they are just to big a job for me to tackle by myself,,,,but a hog I have done before and it is not all that bad a job

I actually considered doing the job myself,,,,there are videos on utube on how to do just about anything,,,,I have helped do cows and they are just to big a job for me to tackle by myself,,,,but a hog I have done before and it is not all that bad a job
The only problem that I have with doing my own butchering is I don't have a place to hang the meat or to cut it up. I've thought about building a "butcher shop" but I've got too many other projects and the expense isn't worth it. Plus like you it's just me here most of the time.

The only problem that I have with doing my own butchering is I don't have a place to hang the meat or to cut it up. I've thought about building a "butcher shop" but I've got too many other projects and the expense isn't worth it. Plus like you it's just me here most of the time.
with the weather being what it is where you are at a place to hang one is not a problem,,,,,as for a place to cut it up at ,a 1/4 at a time and all you need is a good table,,,the folding plastic top tables that Walmart sell is all you need

I have one packed freezer,,,nothing more can be put in it even the top of my frig is packed

I have 7 10lb bags of leg quarters,,,,I am thinking about defrosting each bag and removing the backs it will make a little more space,,,,,,and I need the space,I don't like having the frig packed so full

Talking from past experience. That is a lot of asset in one location. We lost a small freezer last year and lost the entire load. An alarm system is advisable when you have a huge investment in frozen products. Just my 2-cents.

I always place an ice cube on top of the goods im my freezer. I am never gone more than a few days so if I come home and find that the ice cube is gone or reformed in a frozen puddle shape, I know I missed an outage. This gives me the opportunity to act accordingly.

I bought my 7 cu ft chest freezer at Best Buy for under $200. There were space considerations that made a larger freezer impractical. The Best Buy here is completely sold out of all chest freezers right now, but you can order one.

But Home Depot and Lowes have them in stock here (at the moment there is only one at Home Depot, a 7 cu ft). For under $200 now, the largest you can get is a 5 cu ft.

Latest posts

Back