Hi! And thank you in advance!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Kevin L

Found you. Gonna read some tonight, thanks!

Also, your last name is strangely close to my first name...

But let's not name names here. If the accidental disclosure bothers you, I will pm my full name, and we will be even.
No big deal, but thanks. I'm already a public figure (of sorts) anyway.

Thanks Bigpaul! Ye this is the kind of stuff i'm after. But would stainless have rusted too? Let's say in an untouched shelter, or a bunker? I'm assuming that would be safe. Also, would ammunition have gone bad if kept deep underground in a sealed environment?
I don't know about stainless, I always say anything-and this includes ammo too- is finite, it will only last so long and then it is used up, and without a manufacturing base to make the stuff there wont be any more, especially in a nuclear war.
which is why we will be back to a primitive-or more simple more basic if you like- lifestyle.

Last edited:
Howdy from a Texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quite a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right oninwithany replies you have on a topic.

Thanks Bigpaul! Ye this is the kind of stuff i'm after. But would stainless have rusted too? Let's say in an untouched shelter, or a bunker? I'm assuming that would be safe. Also, would ammunition have gone bad if kept deep underground in a sealed environment?

There are many qualities of stainless. Low grade stainless (cheap cooking utensils - pot & pans) will rust. High grade stainless will not rust. Even sealed ammo will degrade over time, unless sealed and stored in a vacuum. Sooner or later oxygen will get into the primer or powder or both, brass will corrode. All things do have a life expectancy. You can attempt to extend this lotted time frame but the effort typically far out weight any beneficial results. JM2C

Just keep ammo in an airtight ammo can with a desiccant pack. As long as the humidity is low and there are no corrosive fumes such as ammonia, ammo will last a lifetime.
I've heard this too.

Supposedly, someone came across a stash of .30-06 ammo from the start of WWI, and it shot just fine . . . although the primers were corrosive, and the rifle needed to be carefully cleaned after.

The problem with ancient stored ammo is will it or won't it work? Corroded primer, discolored brass and shooting at th range, no big problem. Depending on it in a life and death situation, I will pass. Ammo can seals will and can break. Oxygen absorbers will become depleted over time. The real question is --- the length of time and the the storage condition. Anyone want to bet on ammo stored for 1,000 year? No, so the real question is the storage conditions. 100 years in air tight, humidity controlled environment, maybe okay. 5 years in a moist, damp cardboard box, not so much.

You mean the writers, or college kids, who come here and want us to answer questions? Why mostly Europeans?

I don't know. Wasn't one from Colorado? I think everyone told him forget it lol.

I haven't been contacted about a documentary. I guess I'm not special.

I have to admit, it's interesting. I'm not comparing us to scientists, but...

Imagine finding a forum for say, University Anthropologists. And just saying hey guys I'm gonna ask you questions answer me in private message thanks!

I don't think you would get far.

Now if "writer" we're to start a thread, in the appropriate forum, and ask some specific questions related to metallurgy, or the effects of time on various metals, i might be tempted to walk outside and look through some piles that I can pretty effectively date by generation of junk hoarder, and give some answers.

But nah. I gotta come up with the questions and answers?

I'll pass.

I don't have any time for "film makers" or the like, they will always portray preppers as gun nuts and all out crazies, but a writer is a different thing entirely, my wife is an author, they have to get their facts from somewhere, better we put them on the right track than they get it from someone who dosent know anything about the subject.

I see where you're coming from and i understand that you are sceptical. The only reason i even made this thread was to be open with my intentions and reason i'm here. And like Bigpaul said - i need to get the facts from somewhere and i have long suspected that people on forums like this one know a lot about the things that i am interested in.
And about your question about metallurgy - im also doing research on the degradation of building materials, electronics and fuel. Only thing is - preppers have already done a lot of research on this already so having 5 different accounts on 5 different forums ... Could eventually be a good idea :)

As for some info about me, im 34 and a licensed psychologist.

You mean the writers, or college kids, who come here and want us to answer questions? Why mostly Europeans?

I don't know. Wasn't one from Colorado? I think everyone told him forget it lol.

I haven't been contacted about a documentary. I guess I'm not special.

I have to admit, it's interesting. I'm not comparing us to scientists, but...

Imagine finding a forum for say, University Anthropologists. And just saying hey guys I'm gonna ask you questions answer me in private message thanks!

I don't think you would get far.

Now if "writer" we're to start a thread, in the appropriate forum, and ask some specific questions related to metallurgy, or the effects of time on various metals, i might be tempted to walk outside and look through some piles that I can pretty effectively date by generation of junk hoarder, and give some answers.

But nah. I gotta come up with the questions and answers?

I'll pass.

Oh i'm not at all asking you to do the work for me! I just wanted to introduce myself, and i am super thankful for all the input you guys have given me already. Like i wrote, i am trying to be as open as possible, and i will mostly look around on the forums first, to see what's already been written before i ask questions. Thank you for trying to point me in the right direction though!

Latest posts

Back