Help with car.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinjopo1

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. Daughter's car would not start. Jump didn't work. Called AAA. The checked battery and it tested good. Jumped it again and it worked,

She tried today. Dead again.

Any ideas. She hasn't had any problems starting it at all until yesterday.

Oh, it is doing the clicking noise.

Went to auto zone and they checked battery again and it checked okay.

Check the connections at both ends of both battery cable's. And check to make sure every thing is clean where the connections are.also might check out the battery connectors thats between the cable's and post.and make sure the battery connectors are connected tightly

Edit..it also could be the fan belt and/ or alternator

One of my parent's cars was doing something similar - we still haven't figured it out. I think it's the alternator but we haven't tested that yet. The starter was just replaced so we hope it's not that, but it could be.

Thanks Jim.

It took two tries to jump it this time, but it started.
Sounds like lose or corroded terminal .
I
Sounds like lose or corroded terminal .
Told them to check. Her husband is good about repairs so I don't see him being so lazy. He has been down with the knee surgery for months though.

Hunny thinks it sounds like maybe your starter is going out of maybe the cylinoid. The alternator doesn't have anything to do with the actual starting of the vehicle but keeps your battery charger up. I would first check to make sure the connectors are clean. If corroded pour some Coke on them to clean.

If you have to replace the starter/solenoid, DO NOT go to autozone. They will take trade-ins, do a quick test to see if they spin (with no load), clean them up & just resell them. If anything, buy a 'new' not reman'd or refurb'd starter.

My bet is on the starter being the cause too, but I’m far from what I would call a decent mechanic. I would be interested in what it turns out to be though. TF brought up rebuilt starters. They are not as good as a new one, but are cheaper. I’ve used them in the past and done ok but they aren’t as strong as a new one. I’m sure which shop did the rebuild can help, but sometimes we all have to deal with our budget at the time and buy what we can afford.

Yeah i hadn't thought of the starter.sometimes a vehicle will start while one person is tapping on it.while someone else is trying to start it.that's a good way to see if it's the starter or not.

A buddy got one of those rebuilt starters. It had a 'lifetime' warranty. Over the next year or so he replaced it 3 times. It wore him out, turns out he couldn't afford the 'lifetime warranty'! He went and bought a new starter & it's been good for at least 5 years now.

I learned my lesson when I got an engine that was supposedly rebuilt from Japan. spent a week installing it, only to discover it was defective, The seller would cover a replacement but I was suck with removing it and reinstalling the replacement. Never again. New or nothing on auto parts.

Ever find out?

My money would also be on starter or solenoid. Either are typically not too difficult to replace yourself on most cars. As mentioned by another, the alternator is less likely, but still couldn't rule it out. I had a car once behave the same way, and it was the alternator...but it really didn't make much sense that it was. (nor would the battery test out fine if that was the case).

Latest posts

Back