Dehydrating Foods

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I was canning up some Chicken Noodle Soup but ended up with a little extra 'good stuff'. Made a basic white sauce added in some shredded cheese and had a Creamy Chicken side for dinner BUT with the extra I put on a jelly sheet in my dehydrator at 165 F for about 4 1/2 hours. . . . Chicken Carrots Pasta and whatever seasoning was left on these items. For lunch today, I threw some of that into some simmering hot water, turned off the heat and finished my mopping, about 15 minutes. The chicken was a little on the tougher stringy side, but turned out pretty good all the same. Yes, it would have been better in milk, but hunny finished that off this morning. The best way to cook your chicken for dehydrating purpose is to cook it in a pressure cooker. It just turns out tenderer when rehydrating but I do not let food go to waste around here so did it anyway.

Think big when it comes to drying and preserving large animals after the grid and propane or non-existent . Though we don't use it often , have prepared for drying meats after SHTF and practiced using our meat preserving survival plan . I am talking about a wood fueled walk-in smoke house like our ancestors used . No salt needed though flavoring the meat by soaking it in a spiced brine before hanging above a smoldering green hickory wood fire can make some tasty eating . The smoke drifting about the meat keeps insects away and the low heat slowly dries the strips of meat into jerky . Our system has a drying rack that we can raise or lower to obtain the desired heat on the meat until it is ready for removing and bagging . -- We have salt in the stash in case we decided to skip cutting the meat into thin strips and in that case can salt larger pieces of meat and then dry to form a tough outer rind to preserve the larger chunks . -- It would seem to me to be a monumental task to try to jar up a large animal so drying it is what we have prepared for .

No salt needed though flavoring the meat by soaking it in a spiced brine before hanging above a smoldering green hickory wood fire can make some tasty eating . The smoke drifting about the meat keeps insects away and the low heat slowly dries the strips of meat into jerky . Our system has a drying rack that we can raise or lower to obtain the desired heat on the meat until it is ready for removing and bagging . -- We have salt in the stash in case we decided to skip cutting the meat into thin strips and in that case can salt larger pieces of meat and then dry to form a tough outer rind to preserve the larger chunks . -- It would seem to me to be a monumental task to try to jar up a large animal so drying it is what we have prepared for .
My smoke house is large enough to smoke about 300 lbs of meat at one time...Hope I will be using it in Dec when we will butcher a 500 lb hog....

I dehydrated eggs this weekend and green onions. Today I dehydrated tomatoes. I think I'm going to continue dehydrating the tomatoes. I have so many this year and making sauce, juice and spaghetti sauce is getting too time consuming canning, and taking up too much space. Dehydrating makes it much easier for me. I'll get to the herbs and more tomatoes, hopefully tomorrow or later in week.

Latest posts

Back