Cleaning out an old storage room from my dad's old house

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
I was going through some old sealed boxes seeing what can be burned and what to keep, came across a big box of over a 100 papers (samples: thumbnails below) of Vancouver (Washington) and Portland articles on the Kaiser Shipyards here during WWII, lot of my mom's family worked for the Kaiser Shipyards in Vancouver and I suspect that's where they came from, the date ranges from 1942 to 1945. 752 ships were built here during the war years primarily the Liberty ships. Henery Kaiser also created Kaiser Permanente medical group. The paper are thumbnails, click the thumbnails to view.

vancouver.jpg

IMG_3614.JPG IMG_3615.JPG IMG_3616.JPG IMG_3617.JPG IMG_3618.JPG

I was going through some old sealed boxes seeing what can be burned and what to keep, came across a big box of over a 100 papers (samples: thumbnails below) of Vancouver (Washington) and Portland articles on the Kaiser Shipyards here during WWII, lot of my mom's family worked for the Kaiser Shipyards in Vancouver and I suspect that's where they came from, the date ranges from 1942 to 1945. 752 ships were built here during the war years primarily the Liberty ships. Henery Kaiser also created Kaiser Permanente medical group. The paper are thumbnails, click the thumbnails to view.

View attachment 9229

View attachment 9224 View attachment 9225 View attachment 9226 View attachment 9227 View attachment 9228
That’s awesome. I love old things and historical stuff. My wife is the only reason my house dosent look like a Cracker Barrel restaurant.

That’s awesome. I love old things and historical stuff. My wife is the only reason my house dosent look like a Cracker Barrel restaurant.

I Would love have wall to wall such as Cracker Barrel, love that place, me and Lisa used to go their lunch before we married. It is fun place to look at the old pictures.

The first liberty ship was built in just 150 days. Later, during a competition with other yards, the Kaiser shipyard in Richmond, CA built one in less than 5 friggin' days! The SS Robert E Peary's keel was laid on Nov. 8, 1942, was launched on Nov. 12, was fitted out & went to war on Nov. 22. It normally took 50 days to build one.

Can you even imagine that?

The first liberty ship was built in just 150 days. Later, during a competition with other yards, the Kaiser shipyard in Richmond, CA built one in less than 5 friggin' days! The SS Robert E Peary's keel was laid on Nov. 8, 1942, was launched on Nov. 12, was fitted out & went to war on Nov. 22. It normally took 50 days to build one.

That’s what the family said when the talked about the liberty ships, from start to finish to the water in 5 days is an amazing feat for the Peary’s workers. Some historians claim it’s the ships the won the war and the most targeted ships of the war.

Now if we could only focus that spirit of working together today, we would not need to be preppers. Today the people would spend 5 days just in meeting deciding if it was a good idea and then if they could do it or if they should do it and risk the failure aspects. It wold take the next 50 days while they argued who would get the blame if it failed and who would get the praise if it succeeded. The people have the ability to accomplish anything, we just need the leaders to point out the way. Right now all the leaders can do is point fingers.

You might consider donating some of those pictures to a local museum? Heck, as nice as those look, the Smithsonian!

Oh, the "Museum of the Pacific War" is not too far from me in Frederickburg, TX. Or somewhere around there. Great museum, might consider them as well.

Latest posts

Back