Cipro

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a medical person, all antibiotics should be used cautiously. Ciprofloxin is a life-saving drug, but it has its good and bad points.

It's useful for urinary tract infections, anthrax, prostatitis, and so forth.

Using any antibiotic incorrectly can kill beneficial bacteria and cause a fungal infection. It can also create drug-resistant bacteria that may make the situation worse.

Doctors get pressured into giving antibiotics for viral infections (like a cold) by their patients, because patients don't understand the difference between a cold and a bacterial bronchitis.

If the doctor sends them away without a 'script, the patient feels like the doctor doesn't care and doesn't want to "try something" on the "chance that it might work."

If antibiotics worked against viruses, then AIDS and hepatitis would have never been a problem.

There are times when a disease just has to run its course, and using antibiotics in an indiscriminate manner can actually make things a lot worse.

How many preppers who've stashed antibiotics actually studied basic nursing principles, or stashed a copy of 'The Physician's Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy'? How many of these preppers have stashed Morning After pills (available without a 'script) for rape victims? How many preppers have stashed 1:1000 epinephrine and syringes for anaphylactic shock from a bee sting? How many of these preppers have stashed tetanus toxoid, and/or keep their tetanus shots up to date?

How many preppers have studied how to preserve medications to keep them from going bad?

And so on.

Antibiotics are just a tiny part of a big, complex picture, and I get concerned when people obtain these powerful drugs without the rest of the principles that support using them.

I hope nobody interprets this rant as me being hostile, but I get concerned for peoples' safety.

I am one who never goes to see a doctor unless it's something major, like the broken ankle in 3 spots. So I've never been given antibiotics for a cold or flu. I let it run its course and I'm good. Hardly ever get sick. Mom is one who will go and see a doctor when she gets sick and normally brings home a z pack. Does that sound right? Yet she gets sick 3-4 times each season. I realize everyone's immune system is different, but maybe taking antibiotics for every little thing is not good for your body either.

I am one who never goes to see a doctor unless it's something major, like the broken ankle in 3 spots. So I've never been given antibiotics for a cold or flu. I let it run its course and I'm good. Hardly ever get sick. Mom is one who will go and see a doctor when she gets sick and normally brings home a z pack. Does that sound right? Yet she gets sick 3-4 times each season. I realize everyone's immune system is different, but maybe taking antibiotics for every little thing is not good for your body either.
antibiotics don't cure a cold or flu, that's caused by a virus, antibiotics only cure a bacterial infection.

How many preppers who've stashed antibiotics actually studied basic nursing principles, or stashed a copy of 'The Physician's Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy'?

Raises hand (or at least some books on the same topic, though I'll check for the specific one. I also have a lot in e-book form too). And different herbalism guides too.

How many of these preppers have stashed Morning After pills (available without a 'script) for rape victims?

That is a great idea.

How many preppers have stashed 1:1000 epinephrine and syringes for anaphylactic shock from a bee sting?

None in our group have those allergies, but not a bad idea.

How many of these preppers have stashed tetanus toxoid, and/or keep their tetanus shots up to date?

I keep up to date, as I encounter too many rusty nails, etc. at the ranch.

How many preppers have studied how to preserve medications to keep them from going bad?

Always a challenge. I have some books on this, but really haven't delved too much into it. One of our group is a former EMT, but I realize that's not the same as a nurse or doc.

But, you make do with what ya got....

Raises hand (or at least some books on the same topic, though I'll check for the specific one. I also have a lot in e-book form too). And different herbalism guides too.

That is a great idea.

None in our group have those allergies, but not a bad idea.

I keep up to date, as I encounter too many rusty nails, etc. at the ranch.

Always a challenge. I have some books on this, but really haven't delved too much into it. One of our group is a former EMT, but I realize that's not the same as a nurse or doc.

But, you make do with what ya got....
A small electric wine cooler (keeps inside at constant 55°F) can be hooked up to an inverter and a few cheap solar panels (from Harbor Freight) and car batteries, so that meds can be stored at an optimal temperature.

The curved metal shelving inside the wine cooler can be removed with bolt cutters.

Westinghouse makes a six bottle thermoelectric cooler for about $140.00.

Harbor Freight has large solar panels for about $200.00 each.

Good point on having a reference guide for what antiobiotics to use for which ailments. I’m not stocking any currently but think it’s probably a good idea. I wonder which ones have the longest shelf life for long term storage? One thing I do have a stockpile of is aspirin. Fever can be a killer and the fact that it helps with pain is a big plus too.

Good point on having a reference guide for what antiobiotics to use for which ailments. I’m not stocking any currently but think it’s probably a good idea. I wonder which ones have the longest shelf life for long term storage? One thing I do have a stockpile of is aspirin. Fever can be a killer and the fact that it helps with pain is a big plus too.
Anti inflammatory too

Fever can, indeed, be a killer...but you'll probably be better sponging the patient off with tepid (not ice-cold) water.

This point about not using ice water is especially important with very small children, because of febrile seizures.

Everyone thinks that fever seizures in children are because of how hot the fever gets, but this isn't completely correct.

It's more accurate to say that it's how fast the fever goes up and how fast the fever goes down.

Getting panicky and dropping a febrile kid in ice cold water will, indeed, bring the fever down quickly...and make febrile seizures (a lot like a gran mal epileptic seizure, but for different reasons besides epilepsy) a lot more likely.

Believe it or not, a fever can actually be beneficial.

In the years before penicillin and Salversan, doctors actually deliberately infected syphillis patients with malaria, as malaria will completely cure syphillis 1/3 of the time, 1/3 of time it will put the disease into permanent remission, and only 1/3 of the time it doesn't work.

Doctors had quinine (from Chinchona bark) long before antibiotics, so they would treat the malaria after the patient experienced several high fevers from the malaria...and they used Malaria falciparum, which is the worst kind (of the four varieties that infect humans) that causes cerebral malaria.

It was the high fevers that killed off the syphillis spirochete.

The technique was actually revived in the 1990s (and used sucessfully) to cure a patient of Lyme disease (also a spirochete, but in a different family than the syphillis organism), because she was horribly and violently allergic to multiple antibiotics.

They now have better drugs than quinine to treat malaria, so they cured her of malaria after the malaria cured her of Lyme disease. Again, this was because of the fevers.

Sometimes, letting a fever run its course is not the worst idea.

IV fluids (like saline and Ringer's Lactate) can be used to maintain bodily fluids and electrolyte balance, as oral fluids can cause pneumonia (a particularly nasty, often fatal version of the disease called aspiration pneumonia that can happen if stomach contents get into the airway and into the lungs).

Maintaining fluid balance with IV fluids allows the stomach to remain empty, and reduces the risk of this kind of pneumonia.

So, the fever can run its course, and help with the recovery of the patient in many instances.

Ringer's Lactate is normally a perscription item, but can be obtained from veterinary suppliers without a 'script.

Ringer's is better for maintaining fluid balance in a fever patient than normal saline, but it has a disadvantage: a lot of injectable medicines are incompatible with Ringer's, so I actually prefer normal saline...as I can mix IV meds with it when I give injections through the IV line.

Using cold packs in the armpits, groin, and neck will also help a fever if there are issues with sponging the patient down, as might be the case if the patient has been burned, for example.

I hope this info was helpful.

Be careful and do your research when it comes to medical stuff.

Remember that if you do ibuprophen too much, it may shut down your kidneys and cause you to go on dialysis.

Use Advil sparingly.
I rarely have bad headaches anymore but I did get one while I was at work yesterday. I had already tried 6 saltine with it only getting worse over a 6 hour period so when I got home I took 2 ibuprofen and 2 acetaminophen and went to lay down with eyes closed. It knocked some off the pain off. Unfortunately, my headache is still here this morning but at a lower pain level though and I need to go back to work. Thankfully I thing yesterday was the first time I've had to do my cocktail this year.

I strongly believe we have gotten too dependent on over the counter cures in most cases. Drugs are always my last option. Hydrate, rest, eat well, etc. there are times that I take an over the counter pain med but I have to be hurting pretty bad. I figure that by hurting your body is telling you you need to stop doing what is causing it. Keep in mind this is for general minor things....

Use a chlorine dioxide protocal for so many things. Its used to cure Malaria and works everytime. Its used for bacterial infections, cancers, viruses, a spray form (sodium hypochlorite) its sprayed on meats and vegitables and used all over the world to sanitize and disenfect food and contact areas. Also used in water treatment. Its very safe and effective if used properly. The big pharma will lie about it. Its practicaly cost nothing to make and can not be patenned.

Also cures the symptoms of Autism, look up the protocal treatments developed by DR. Rivera

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back