Battery tests (AA Alkaline/Rechargeable)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont have any rechargable batteries, to unreliable in my experience, I've had them before and they all stored their charges at different levels which is bad when they are used in multiples. Also had them lose charges at alarmingly variable rates. I only use new Lithium Batteries with long shelf lives.

Eneloops are for the win. Best rechargables I’ve ever worked with.
The Eneloops are great, and I like that they have supposedly solved the memory problem of NiMH batteries, but they are going to have to come down in price some before I get too excited about them. Some 14500 batteries have a higher capacity and higher voltage at a lower price. Granted they can only be used in devices that are made for them, but then about the only high demand devices I have left that still use AA size batteries are flashlights - which can use the 14500s. Everything else like cameras, range finders, etc have gone to either proprietary batteries or CR2s, CR123As, etc.

I dont have any rechargable batteries, to unreliable in my experience, I've had them before and they all stored their charges at different levels which is bad when they are used in multiples. Also had them lose charges at alarmingly variable rates. I only use new Lithium Batteries with long shelf lives.

I use Energizer Lithiums for a lot of high drain applications but Eneloops are great rechargeable and never had memory issues, they may not be the most powerful but they are extremely consistent and one of the highest cycle of any rechargeable, just make sure any rechargeable battery are made in Japan and not china.

The Eneloops are great, and I like that they have supposedly solved the memory problem of NiMH batteries, but they are going to have to come down in price some before I get too excited about them.

But Eneloop have 2100 discharge recharge cycles Vs 400~500 cycles by most others which means they last 4.2x longer in recharge cycles so price point?. I have Eneloops that are pushing 8 years old and still going strong, I can't say that about any other NiMH class battery I have had.

But Eneloop have 2100 discharge recharge cycles Vs 400~500 cycles by most others which means they last 4.2x longer in recharge cycles so price point?. I have Eneloops that are pushing 8 years old and still going strong, I can't say that about any other NiMH class battery I have had.

I haven't use NiMH batteries in decades. The only rechargeables I use are Lithiums. My EDC flashlight uses one 3000 mAh 18650 Li-Ion battery (you can get them now up to 6,000 mAh). But that is 3.7 volts, so you are getting more than twice the watts per amp than with an AA battery. Those run about $7.50-$8 apiece, but then they carry more than twice the energy of a 2,500 mAh AA battery. It has a USB charger, so I can charge it in the car, or even off of a laptop computer. The last time I decided that it was probably time to recharge it, it was still at 90%. This was after carrying it around and using it for months. Li-ion batteries have 1000-1500 recharge cycles.

Last edited:
Just switched to Amazon Basic Black rechargeable. AA and AAA. The AAA is for my electronic scales, it need full charge or it starts to drift. I use the electronic scale, along with the balance beam scale for reloading. When the scale starts to drift (repeatedly) I just pop in new batteries and I am good to go.

Latest posts

Back